Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chatty Cathy


Today Aubrey had a well-baby checkup with her doctor and I have to say, it was all quite comical.  Ok, well not all of it.  Poor Aubrey has been fighting a cold for about two weeks now and we found out today that she has an ear infection in both ears.  Her first ear infection.  Sad smile   Poor baby, but we got her a prescription to get her better soon.  Aside from that bit of news, here’s what happened that just made me laugh.

At every appointment we are required to fill out a questionnaire about Aubrey asking different things about her developmentally.  Today one of the questions was, “Can your child say a minimum of eight words?”  Eight words?!?!  Are you kidding me?  You’re funny.  Yes.  She can say a MINIMUM of eight words.  Here is a list of all the words and phrases we could think of that she is currently saying…I had to list so you can see why we laughed.

Mama/Mommy
Dada/Daddy
Aubrey (Which sounds like Aubie)
Hi/Hello (Which sounds like ‘hewoah’)
Bye
Fish (Not so much emphasis on the ‘f’ though)
Shoes
Nana
Grandpa (Which sounds like Bampa)
No <—A favorite of hers
I want that
Mine
Puppy (Which sounds like poppy)
Thank you
Doo doo (For…you know…#2)
Pee pee
Poop
Potty
Juice
Water (Which sounds like wa-wa)
That’s cool
OK
Pool
Pretty
Mimis (Which is what we call bedtime in our house)
TV
Eat
Nose
Eyes
Head
Ice
Baby
Oh no
Mmmmm (Which is what she says when she sees something she wants to eat)
Cookie
Tickle, tickle (Which sounds like tica tica)
Ewwwwww
I know
Ball
Its hot
Cold
Here you go
Play
Car
More
Again
Yay
Done
I want down
I’m ok
Where it go?
What’s that?
Babe
Achoo (Which is what she tells you when you sneeze)
Like I said…yes….she knows at least eight words.  I’m sure I’ve missed some here too.  What’s even funnier is that while the doctor was writing down some stuff, Aubrey was talking and the following conversation ensued:
Doctor:  Wow she is really talking good.
Justin:  Yeah, she’s a regular old Chatty Cathy
Doctor gives quizzical look.
Doctor:  Is that a cartoon character?
Justin gives an equally quizzical look.
Justin:  No, it’s just something my Mom used to say.
Doctor:  Is there a Cathy in your family?
Justin and I now trying to suppress laughter.
Justin:  No, not that I know of.
Doctor:  Oh.  Maybe a friend?
Justin:  No, I guess my Mom is just weird.
Doctor:  Well I think she sounds really fun.
Me…about to die of laughter on the inside…barely able to contain myself.
After he left Justin and I looked at each other, shook our heads and started laughing.  What the heck?  That was special.
Love,
Justin, Candice & Aubrey
DSC00785

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA was the doctor young?! I'm pretty sure everyone has heard that term before! I would have burst out laughing while the doc was in the room. You're so polite to wait until he left. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough he is a really old doctor! I told Justin that maybe we should take it as a good sign that he has never heard that term before...maybe he has had his head in a book all this time and doesn't know common terms like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete