Friday, March 22, 2013

Play Place H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

Oh wow...I didn't realize how long it's been since my last blog until today's special adventure proved to be one that needed documenting. So I promise to update soon but for now, here's the story....

We decided to enjoy a beautiful feast of chicken nuggets and french fries today at good old Mickey D's. The one by our house has a play place in it, so naturally we ate in there and let Aubrey play. Generally she only goes in this small little car area and is plenty happy with that.

Today proved to be different. Obviously our little one is growing up; exploring life as a toddler and testing independence here and there. She did her usual routine and played in the car, but slowly became more and more curious of the big tubes surrounding her.

She's been up the big tubes before with her older cousins, but never by herself. I watched her curiously as she finally made the mental decision to climb the big tube. She disappeared for a minute and then came back down laughing. Then she went back up....only she never came back down. I got up and looked up the tube only to find she had disappeared.

:: Enter Justin::

The two of us started looking around for her to see what tube she was in. Justin found her and she seemed happy enough crawling along so he kept an eye on her. She finally reached the slide and we figured she would go down so I waited for her at the bottom. Well a few minutes go by and she never comes down and Justin can't see her anymore. So here we go again looking around at the tubes.

I finally find her and the poor thing bursts into tears when she spots me too. Mommy to the rescue...in I go. I make my way through the tubes and find my bawling babe. After comforting her, we start to make our way out of the maze. Well I obviously took a wrong turn and couldn't find the dang slide. I was stuck in play place hell. I kept seeing Justin who was watching safely on the ground laughing his butt off.

I eventually figured out how to get to the big slide, which was a relief. I was getting hot and claustrophobic in there. Now, the only problem with getting to the big slide was that the incline was steeper and thus it was harder for Aubrey to climb up the tubes. So now we're blocking traffic and holding up the line (Justin is still safe on the ground laughing).  Kids are now becoming inpatient with us and telling us to hurry up. One even goes so far to tell me, "Hurry up, your butt stinks!" I didn't know what to say, so I told her she was a rude little girl.

This tale ends happily as Aubrey and I made it out of there alive and in one piece. Moral of the story? Well there are three things I can take away from this:

1. Aubrey is not quite ready to be in that play place alone. She needs a buddy system to help navigate those tunnels.

2.  It will be Justin's turn to go get her next time she is stuck. I will watch from the ground laughing.

3.  Apparently my butt stinks. So excuse me while I go shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment